How to Report a Repair
Universal Credit (UC) brings together income-related benefits into one single payment and only applies to working age people. It does not apply to pensioners. However it may apply to couples where one partner is over, and the other under, state pension age.
UC is now live across the UK. If you've recently signed up this is a useful welcome guide, produced by the DWP.
UC replaces the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
- Housing Benefit
- Child Tax Credit
- Working Tax Credit
Under UC any help you get paying your rent will NOT normally be paid to Melville. When UC is awarded YOU will have to pay FULL RENT. UC will be paid monthly.
To prepare for UC you should:
- Make sure you have an email address. If you have a partner they will need one too
- Make sure you have a bank account
- Make sure you can access the internet
- Draw up a simple list of income and outgoings to help with your budgeting
- Keep any rent letters you receive
Remember, when you claim UC you need to:
- pay full rent to Melville
- claim Council Tax reduction from your local council. Make a claim (Midlothian tenants)
- claim discretionary housing payment from your council if you are affected by the bedroom tax
- report all changes in your circumstances, including any rent increases
A Government toolkit is also now available that tells you everything you need to know about UC.