Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC) brings together income-related benefits into one single payment and only applies to working age people. It does not apply to pensioners.

UC is now live in Midlothian and South Lanarkshire and over time will be introduced everywhere in the UK. If you've recently signed up this is a useful welcome guide, produced by the DWP. 

UC replaces the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

UC Logo

Under UC any help you get paying your rent (what is currently known as Housing Benefit) will NOT be paid to Melville. When UC is awarded YOU will have to pay FULL RENT. UC will be paid monthly.

To prepare for UC you should:

  • Make sure you have an email address. If you have a partner they will need one too
  • Make sure you have a bank account
  • Make sure you can access the internet
  • Draw up a simple list of income and outgoings to help with your budgeting
  • Keep any rent letters you receive

Remember, when you claim UC you need to:

  • contact your housing officer for proof of your rent
  • pay full rent to Melville
  • claim Council Tax reduction from your local council. Make a claim (Midlothian tenants)
  • claim discretionary housing payment from your council if you are affected by the bedroom tax

A Government toolkit is now available that tells you everything you need to know about UC. There are also short online films that explain how UC works.

Prepare now for Universal Credit so that you're ready when it arrives where you live.

Explore Melville Housing Association

Awards and Certificationshomepage logos