Freedom of Information

Melville is an open and transparent organisation. We are happy to share information about the way we work, the services we provide and the decisions we make.

One of the ways we do this is through The Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 (FOISA).

The Act gives the public the right to access recorded information held by public bodies. From 11 November 2019 (in Scotland only) this was extended to include housing associations.

To see the requests we've received since FOISA was extended to housing associations, download our register of requests

We are also bound by the Environmental Information (Scotland) Regulations 2004 which gives the public the right to access environmental information we hold.

1. How much does it cost to make an FOI request?

Costs for providing published materials are set out in our publication scheme.

Usually, there is no charge for responding to an FOI request, UNLESS your request is complicated and will take up a considerable amount of staff time.

You will be advised of any costs in advance and will be required to pay these costs before we provide the information.

Different fees apply to requests for information governed by the Environmental Information (Scotland) Regulations 2004.

We will advise you beforehand if we think these regulations apply and the level of any fee.

2. How long do you normally take to respond to FOI requests?

Your request will be dealt with promptly and, usually, within 20 working days.

There is no need to cite the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 or explain why information is being asked for. However, giving as much detail as you can may help us respond more fully and more quickly to your request.

3. Do you respond to every request?

There's no obligation for us to comply with an information request if:

  • an exemption applies
  • if the cost of doing so would exceed the amount set by the fees regulations, or
  • if the information is not held by us

In these instances, you will be notified why we cannot comply with your request or cannot comply with it in full.

4. What if I'm not happy with the response you give?

If you aren't happy with the response we give to your request please write to:

The Chief Executive, Melville Housing Association, The Corn Exchange, 200 High Street, Dalkeith, EH22 1AZ.

Should you remain unhappy, you can contact the office of the Scottish Information Commissioner.

Explore Melville Housing Association

Awards and CertificationsHomepage logos x 3