Struggling with Money

Rent arrears

If you don’t pay your rent, the money owed is called rent arrears. Rent arrears are 'priority debts', which means the consequences of not dealing with them are serious, including the risk of eviction from your home.

If you can’t pay your rent please tell us as soon as possible.

There are a number of ways we can help. Your housing officer will discuss these options with you or refer you to one of our FREE advice services.

Find out how we set rents.

All tenants pay rent

Please remember that all tenants pay rent including those who receive Universal Credit or Housing Benefit.

If you receive Universal Credit you must tell the DWP of any changes in your circumstances. If you receive Housing Benefit then you must tell the benefits department at your local council.

Download Melville's policy on arrears.

Explore Melville Housing Association

Awards and CertificationsHomepage logos x 3